Freedmen's School Dedication
The Historic Smithfield Foundation dedicated the restored Freedmen’s School on June 19.
The building on Smithfield’s North Fourth Street is believed to be North Carolina’s only remaining schoolhouse for freedmen. It was built just after the Civil War and educated freedmen from 1869 until 1912.
The dedication ceremony included a program at nearby First Missionary Baptist Church, followed by tours of the restored schoolhouse.
Photos from the event are below. They include a photograph of an intact section of floor joist showing signs of a fire, possibly arson.










Page last updated on: July 13, 2026